Composed of ten contiguous existing industrial buildings within the Wallabout National Register Historic District, this full block site is being adapted for use as a workplace, creative space and a retail community of food, community and business services.The complex was built in multiple phases from 1895-1927 for the Mergenthaler Linotype Company, including buildings designed by Albert Kahn.
An existing interior gap between the industrial buildings engages former outdoor docks and loading spaces to create continuity and pedestrian circulation throughout the complex.
South Plaza - Main entry lobby
Extending from the Hall Street, a newly paved plaza space and new enclosed lobby formerly used as a loading dock will be a primary entrance and identifier for the southern buildings.
The South Plaza serves as the building's main gathering area outside of the lobby entrance, with generous open frontage accessed directly from Hall Street. (Image provided by RXR)
The Hall Corridor
Retail spaces are open directly to the central corridor and tenant areas at upper floors have direct visual sight over the area and other accessible rooftops. (Image provided by RXR)
An open loading area facing Hall Street acts as an entrance courtyard connecting to building entries, the central campus corridor and south plaza.(Image provided by RXR)