St. Ann's Warehouse
St. Ann’s Warehouse built its new home in the 1860 Tobacco Warehouse along Brooklyn Bridge Park in DUMBO. The state of the art theater has gained international recognition for its ability to adapt in multiple configurations allowing for complete flexibility.
The lobby opens up to the Garden on the waterfront side. This space can be used as a gathering space before a show as well as additional performance space.
The entry vestibule is a double height space to maintain the view of the Brooklyn Bridge where people historically posed for photos.
All program other than the theater was placed in a volume along the center wall separating the rectangle from the triangle. This allows for all of the perimeter walls to remain exposed.
There are three primary materials in addition to the existing brick: plywood, concrete, and blackened steel.
A catwalk was hung from the new steel structure that defined the theater space. The continuous catwalk provides complete flexibility for the new performance space.
Flexible presenting theater
The front half of the seating risers is removable which allows for increased floor space and elevated viewing.
The existing brick walls are a backdrop for the performance area.
View from the catwalk
Light spills into the theater space through the glass brick clerestory.
Opening performance of Henry IV, October 2015
A performance of Nice Fish, April 2016
The entry vestibule is accessed through the public Triangle Garden.
The Triangle Garden, designed by Michael Van Valkenberg, is enclosed on all sides and provides a public place for gathering as well as a refuge from the windy waterfront.
The glass brick volume glows at night, marking performances and events at St. Ann’s Warehouse.